Monday, September 9, 2013

Started a new production company in three minutes .....

About a year ago I hired a coach to help me get on track, set goals, and work on building a career in the arts. I needed someone to hold me accountable because I am a procrastinator. For the first few months he instructed me to set an alarm for one hour and write. Eventually he instructed me to set aside five hours each Saturday morning and go to "work". Recently he instructed me to make a list of everything I wanted to do and START working on them, for three minutes at a time. You want to read more? Read one page. Takes about three minutes. You won't stop. Soon you are reading. Even the things you don't want to do....get them over with! You want to run? Put on running shoes, get out the door, takes three minutes. You might as well at least walk somewhere. You want to clean your house? Three minutes to sweep. Three minutes to load the dishwasher....and on and on. So in increments of three minutes I was instructed by my coach to start ACTIVELY living my dreams. So yes, I started a production company in three minutes when I got a domain name. You see my friend, Lisa, and I decided that we wanted to self-produce a web series that would give us a chance to shine as writers and actors- the primary goal being that we would get enough material to produce a reel for our agents. So we went out for happy hour and brain stormed a few times, finally landing on the perfect idea for us. We put the word out to our pals and on social media, and by the end of the day we had the director we want, the editor, a domain, and the first meeting planned. The meeting included four hours of intense, hilarious, invigorating brainstorming and snacks. Deadlines for scripts, set ups to interview crew, and we are on our way. Oh, yes, putting some money into it to start the whole ball rolling. Now we are setting goals to do a whole web series- with the dream of selling it and actually moving forward to bigger production goals. Makes the work day at the day job almost worth it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment